Sunday, October 19, 2008

Quotes

Nobody is a born captain. Most of the time, I have gone on instinct.

- When his captaincy was criticized.

I know what I am. People can label me as they like but it upsets me to hear the word arrogant being used against me. I am not arrogant. Not at all.

- On being called arrogant.

He’s a champion at everything. I really admire him. I am very impressed with the way he approaches life.

- On Rahul Dravid.

The thing I like most about Sachin is his intensity. After being in the game for so long, he still has the same desire to do well for India in any international match. I tell you what, this man is a legend.

- On Sachin Tendulkar.

I am not surprised.

- On Sachin Tendulkar getting 10,000 ODI runs.

Now I was not only the Prince of Calcutta, but I was the monarch of Indian Cricket. I could not comprehend the feelings and emotions that were rising inside me.

- On being appointed captain.

I am here to win games not popularity contests.

- On being criticized by the English media while touring England in July 2002.

I see things differently after Sana’s birth. An event like this changes everybody and it has changed me too. I have become more mature.

- On the birth of his daughter, Sana.

We went around for a long time. She is a lovely person and now we are married and blessed with a beautiful daughter, Sana. She is a terrific woman and has adjusted to our joint family so well that she does not even have time for me! So it’s all happy on this front. "

- About his wife, Dona.

We obviously don't get support from outside, so we support each other and will continue to do so whatever happens in the rest of the tournament.

- On why the ‘huddle’ was invented during the World Cup.

After all the rubbish that was published in the media, I thought it was all over. It hurt very badly.

- Reflecting back on the disastrous Australian Tour in 1992 where media was full of stories on his attitude problems.

I enjoy captaincy. A Captain has to take the responsibility of guarding the interest of his players.

- After being named Captain of the Indian cricket team.

I have scored centuries in matches where Shoaib has bowled and to hear that I'm uncomfortable against him is rather surprising.

- Denying observations that he cannot face Shoaib Akhtar.

Every individual needs to be handled differently. One person might need a pat on the back. Another, an arm around the shoulder. But to seniors like Azhar, Sachin, Ajay, Anil and Javagal, a quiet word would do.

- On how he handles his superstar teammates

There have been angry reactions back home and that is understandable because of our poor showing against Australia. But true supporters are this who not only jump up with the team’s victory but also stand by the team in times of defeats. I was shocked and disappointed to hear what the families of Dravid and Kaif have gone through.

- About the reaction of angry fans back home after India lost badly to Australia in the early stages of the 2003 World Cup.

No comments:

 

Users came from:

-